As the camera is recording I’m not really worried about answering the interviewer’s questions. The three Junior students, grilling me about my past life, are patiently asking rehearsed questions as I am doing my best to clearly think of a good answer… knowing that any word that I say could be published. The interview is going well and I’m having a good time answering the questions, but, like almost everything that happens on this blog… things just get weird – “Brian, is it true that you interviewed for a job at VM (Villa Maria – an all girls school here in Lima) but you were denied the job because you were too handsome?”
Professor Brian Meagher
Teacher & “Model”
- How and why did you come to Peru and teach in SM?
Brian: How did I get to Peru? My girlfriend is Peruvian and she is from Lima, so when she moved back last year I came with her. How did I get to SM? I don’t know (laughs) I randomly dropped off my resume and Jelena (English coordinator) randomly called me, so I came in for an interview.
- Are you adapting well?
Brian: Yeah, I’m adapting well because SM is a really good place. The teachers are very nice… to me at least… at least to my face, behind my back I don’t know, hahaha, no, they are good. Everyone is really nice, students are great, I like MOST of the students (laughs) no, don’t put that in there. It’s a good place… and I’m still learning the language… it’s good, I like it.
- What do you think about SM students?
Brian: Many things, many things… I think they are, well at least my students, they are very intelligent, but they just need something to push them forward, to stop being lazy, because most of them are lazy. I was lazy when I was your age… but… They are great, they have a great attitude… I like them.
- There’s a rumor that you were a model in the US, is that true?
Brian: (Laughs) There’s a rumor that I was a model in the US like… if you’re talking about… modeling… depending what kind of model… First of all, NO! (Laughs) No I wasn’t a model, but thank you for asking me that question. I appreciate it.
- There’s another rumor that you applied to work in VM but they didn’t accept you because you were too handsome, is that true?
Brian: (Laughs) No, it’s also false. I think if I worked with 16, 17 year old girls that would just be a bad situation. I mean, with you guys… you are guys and you are already saying “ohhhhh Brian!” I can imagine… it would be a bad situation. It’s a good rumor so keep, yes, keep spreading it.
- What are your goals in SM?
Brian: I want to be more than just an English teacher, I’ve never been a teacher before, so coming her and teaching … I want to do something else besides what I just do in the classroom. So I am doing an English club or some kind of other activities that I enjoy, I like sports, I like photography, I like art, I like many things. So if I could bring all of that to SM, share it with students that’s what I want to do, not just being a teacher, but being a mentor and a friend.
- What are your plans for the future?
Brian: My short term plans are to stay at SM for a few years at least, if they like me. And my long term plans… I don’t know, I like being a teacher so far. In the first two months it has been really fun and good. So I think I may… I’m definitely going to stay in Peru for a long time. I like Peru and I like SM. So at least, if that doesn’t change… I will be here.
- Thank you Brian, we wish you all the best!

3 comments:
That's funny, I went to VM and I've always wondered why we didn't have almost any male teacher.
Great blog, man, I've really enjoyed reading it so far. I've been itching to get back to Lima after spending a week there this past summer. I'm thinking about taking up the teaching English route, but I'm not sure I'm qualified. It seems you didn't study Education either and still managed to get a job at a good school like SM? I actually have family in Miraflores and San Isidro, including two aunts who are both teachers, so hopefully that will make it easier. If you have any advice for me at all, or can at least just tell me what your background is and how exactly you got this gig, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
James... send me an email and we can talk over email...
bjmyp6@gmail.com
Also, check out my updated blog to read more if you want - bmeagher.wordpress.com
Post a Comment