In honor of Santa Maria's 70th birthday, the school put on quite a show called, Noche de Gala. It was a celebration of Santa Maria's history using art, photographs, music, and the performing arts.
An orchestra made up of some students, alumni, and teachers performed a wide variety of songs: from Beethoven's Fifth to We are the Champions. It was quite an impressive performance, especially considering the fact that they played in the most acoustically-deficient setting of all time - the Santa Maria gymnasium.
Additionally, a few of my students performed several short skits and dances that were incredible. Really, they missed four of my classes this week to practice... so I was expecting something worthy of Shakespeare. And in fact, they performed a short skit from Hamlet; so I guess my expectation was met - quite literally.
Outside the gymnasium was a time line, created by a few students and teachers. It was a very impressive display of pictures and descriptions of the significant events in Santa Maria's history. I've posted a few pictures that I took of the night's events. I will try to explain them as best as possible.
Picture 1: After recreating the first Marianist meeting in Lima from over 70 years ago, here are 6 students receiving a well-deserved praise from the crowd. Five of the six are in my Advanced English class - from left to right they are: Alejandro, Rafael, Gabriel, Joaquin, Hernando, and Max.
Picture 2: Some teachers and parents are checking out Santa Maria's timeline.
(more pictures coming later... my internet connection is not working too well)
Love,
-Brian

No comments:
Post a Comment